Chrysler B engine

From Dodge Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Chrysler's B engine was a big-block V8 which replaced the early Chrysler FirePower engine in 1958. It did not have hemispherical heads like the FirePower — rather it had wedge-shaped heads. All B-series engines have a 3.375 inches (85.7 mm) stroke. Chrysler also produced a larger version, the Chrysler RB engine.

Design features include 17 capscrews per cylinder head, a cylinder block that extends 3 inches (76 mm) below the crankshaft centerline, an intake manifold not exposed to crankcase oil on the underside, stamped-steel, shaft-mounted rocker arms (race versions used forged steel rockers), and a front-mounted oil pump driven by the camshaft.

The B engine started at 350 cu in (5.7 L) and 361 cu in (5.9 L), and a 383 cu in (6.3 L) version appeared the next year. Plymouth called its version of the early B Golden Commando. It produced 305 brake horsepower (227 kW). DeSoto's B engine was the Turboflash. It put out 295 brake horsepower (220 kW). Dodge's B was called the D-500 and produced 320 brake horsepower (240 kW).

350

The 350 cu in (5.7 L) B engine had a bore of 4.0625 inches (103.19 mm) and was only produced in 1958. It was used on the following cars:

361

The 361 cu in (5.9 L) B engine was similar to the 350 except for a wider 4.125 inches (104.8 mm) bore. There was a multipoint electronic fuel-injected version in 1958 only. The Plymouth version was called the Commando, variants of which included the Golden Commando and SonoRamic Commando. It was used in the following vehicles:

383

The 383 cu in (6.3 L) short-stroke B engine used a 4.25 inches (108 mm) bore and was introduced in 1959 for the 1960 model year. Over 3,000,000 B 383 engines were produced between 1959 and 1971.[citation needed] Dodge's version, the D500, had a cross-ram induction manifold and dual 4-barrel carburetors as options. In some Dodge applications, this engine was labelled as the Magnum, while the Plymouth's version was called the Golden Commando. The "Golden Commando" came with a special[vague] dual-point distributor, a drag-racing derivation.

The B 383 was found on the following vehicles:

400

The 400 cu in (6.6 L) B engine was introduced in 1972. It shares the B family's 3.38 inches (86 mm) stroke, but is bored out to 4.34 inches (110 mm). There were standard- and high-performance options.

The B 400 engine was used in the following vehicles:

See also