Chrysler RB engine

From Dodge Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search

The RB engine is a Big-block V8 engine from Chrysler. It first appeared in 1959 and was a raised-deck (taller) version of the Chrysler B engine. The big-block RB lasted until 1978. All RB engines have a 3.75 in (95 mm) Stroke (engines), with the Bore (engines) being the defining factor in engine size. Bore center distance is 4.84". All RBs are Oversquare, but the sheer size of the engines means that torque is not lacking.

Contents

383


This engine was only produced from 1958 to 1960 with a 4.031 in (102 mm) bore and 3.75-inch (95 mm) stroke. The 383 RB engine is often confused with the 383 B engine. This engine was also used in Fargo military trucks in Canada until 1961.

413


The 413 RB had a 4.1875 in (106 mm) bore and was used from 1959 to 1965 in cars. During that period, it powered almost all Chrysler New Yorker and Imperial models, and was also available on the lesser Chryslers, Dodge Polara, Dodge Monaco, and Plymouth Fury as an alternative to the 383-cubic-inch B series engine and/or the 318 Poly. With a compression ratio of 10:1 it developed 340 brake horsepower in 1X4-Bbl trim.

In the 1959 Chrysler 300E the 413 was fitted with inline dual 4 barrel carburetors; it was factory rated as having 380 horsepower (280 kW) at 5000 rpm and 450 ft·lbf (610 N·m). of torque at 3600 RPM[1]. In 1960, a long-tube ram induction system was made standard on the Chrysler 300 °F (149 °C), it continued as standard on the '61 300-G, it remained on the option sheets for Chrysler 300s through 1964. The 413 remained in use in medium and heavy duty trucks until 1973.

426


Not to be confused with the famous 426 Hemi, the 426 RB Wedge was a wedge-head RB big-block with a 4.25 inch (108 mm) bore and 3.75-inch (95 mm) stroke. Produced from 1963 to mid-1964, the 426 wedge served as Chrysler's main performance engine until the introduction of the 426 Hemi. The 426 wedge was known as the Max Wedge (the generic term), Super Stock in Plymouth', and Ramcharger in Dodges. All these versions are the same engine, only different names used for branding.

The Max Wedge was a race-only engine offered from the factory. The Max wedge featured high flow cylinder heads developed through state of the art( at the time) airflow testing.[2] They had 1 7/8 inch exhaust valves that required the cylinder bores be notched for clearance. The Blocks were a special severe duty casting with larger oil feed passages than other RB engines and the blocks were stress relieved by the factory. Induction came by the means of cross ram intake manifold tuned for peak power above 4000 rpm and two Carter AFB-3447SA 4 barrel Carburetors. The Max Wedge also included high-flow cast iron Manifold (automotive) that, on the later versions, resembled steel tube headers. The Max Wedge was factory rated at 415 or 425 hp (depending on C.R.), and 480 ft·lbf (650 N·m). of torque at 4400 rpm.

Before the end of the '63 model year Chrysler introduced the Stage II Max Wedge with improved combustion chamber design and an improved camshaft. The last performance year for the Max Wedge came in '64 with the Stage III. The factory advertised power rating never changed despite the Stage II and III improvements.

There was also a "426-S" available in 1964 and 1965. It bears little relation to the Max Wedge except for basic architecture and dimensions. The "426 Street Wedge" was available only in B-body cars (Plymouth and Dodge) and light duty Dodge D Series trucks, it was little more than an increased-bore version of the standard "Chrysler New Yorker" 413 1X4-Bbl engine.

440

440-6 Barrel RB V8 in a 1971 Plymouth 'Cuda
Modified 440 Magnum in a Dodge D100 truck

The 440 was produced from 1966 until 1978, making it the last version of the Chrysler RB block. It had a cast iron block with iron heads and a bore of 4.32 inches (109.73mm).

From 1967 to 1971 the high performance version was rated at 375 (370 in '71) SAE gross bhp (280 kW) at 4700 rpm with a single four barrel carburetor, and from 1969 to 1971, the highest output version was the 440 Six Pack (for Dodge, 440 6 Barrel for Plymouth) and 390 (385 in '71)  hp (291 kW) with three two barrel Holley carburetors.

From 1972 onwards the motor was equipped according to the new Clean Air Act, which muffled the output to a rated 335 bhp (250 kW) SAE gross at 4400 rpm through a drop in compression, cam timing and other tuning measures. Also in 1972, the U.S. industry switched to SAE net ratings, that is, with alternator, air cleaner, mufflers, and other real-world, power-consuming equipment attached, which resulted in a more realistically rated 225 bhp (168 kW) SAE net at 4400 rpm, which very closely coincided with period German DIN ratings and TUV measurements.

The high output 440 was marketed as the Magnum in Dodges, the Super Commando in Plymouths, and the TNT in Chryslers.

The 440 was used in the following vehicles:

See also

References

  1. Mopar Performance, Atherton, Larry. S-A Design Publishing CO: 1978.
  2. Mopar Performance, Atherton, Larry. S-A Design Publishing CO: 1978
Personal tools