From Dodge Wiki
|Automotive industry||Chrysler (2008-09)|
|Car classification||Mid-size SUV|
|Car body style||4-door SUV|
|Automobile layout||Front-engine design, Rear-wheel drive / Four-wheel drive|
|Internal combustion engine||3.7 L PowerTech V6|
4.7 L PowerTech V8
5.7 L Hemi V8
3.0 L Common rail V6 (Europe)
|Transmission (mechanics)||5-speed Automatic transmission|
|Wheelbase||109.5 in (2781 mm)|
|Length||188.5 in (4788 mm)|
|Width||75.0 in (1961 mm)|
|Height||71.9 in (1826 mm)|
|Curb weight||4391 lb (2009 kg)|
|Related||Jeep Grand Cherokee|
The Jeep Commander (XK) is a mid-sized SUV introduced in 2006. It was first introduced at the 2005 New York Auto Show. It is the 7-passenger counterpart of the Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has much more boxy styling, with an upright windshield and squared-off sides. The roof is stepped for the second and third-row seats (which are mounted higher than the first-row seats), but is disguised, as on the GMC Envoy, by a roof rack. It also features three Moonroof called "Command View".
Jeep is the fourth company to produce a vehicle called the Commander, after the Studebaker Commander, the Scammell Commander, and the Norton Commander (Motorcycle) motorcycle.
Supposedly, the Jeep Wagoneer was the Commander's initial inspiration; this may be evident as its exterior resembles the styling. The Commander also closely resembles the discontinued Jeep Cherokee (XJ). Although its design is very square-like, the Commander's basic platform is based on the third generation Grand Cherokee.
The Commander offers a base V6 engine with two optional V8 including the new Hemi:
In Europe and certain other markets like Chile, South Africa, and South Korea, the Commander offers a V6 Diesel engine developed by DaimlerChrysler with BlueTec technology:
- 3.0 L Common rail V6 Turbo Diesel, 160 kW (218 hp DIN) and 510 N·m (376 ft·lbf)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 "Jeep - Specs & Upgrades:". Chrysler LLC. http://www.jeep.com/bridge/vehsuite.html?app=vehiclespecs&family=commander&model=Technical&zipcode=10101&year=2008. Retrieved on 2008-05-06.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 "Jeep - Specs & Upgrades:". Chrysler LLC. http://www.jeep.com/bridge/vehsuite.html?app=vehiclespecs&family=commander&model=Technical&zipcode=10101&year=2008. Retrieved on 2008-05-06.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 "Jeep - Specs & Upgrades:". Chrysler LLC. http://www.jeep.com/bridge/vehsuite.html?app=vehiclespecs&family=commander&model=Technical&zipcode=10101&year=2008. Retrieved on 2008-05-06.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 "Jeep Commander - Specs:". Chrysler UK LTD. http://www.jeep.co.uk/commander/specs.html. Retrieved on 2008-05-06.
- Jeep Commander official site
- Jeep Commander discussion forums
- Jeep Commander Info
- Jeep Commander 4.7 L 2007 model year test
- Jeep Commander Blog
Jeep, A subsidiary of Chrysler LLC, road vehicle timeline, 1945–present
|Traditional||CJ-2A||CJ-3A||CJ-3B||CJ-7/8||Wrangler YJ||Wrangler TJ||Wrangler JK|
|Crossover SUV||Compass MK|
|Compact SUV||VJ||C101||C104||Cherokee/Wagoneer XJ||Liberty KJ||Liberty KK|
|Sport utility vehicle||Willys Jeep Wagon||G.Cherokee ZJ||G.Cherokee WJ||G.Cherokee WK|
|Wagoneer/Cherokee SJ||Jeep Grand Wagoneer||Commander XK|
|Pickup truck||Willys Jeep Truck||Comanche MJ|