Willys Jeep Wagon
From Dodge Wiki
|Car classification||Full-size SUV|
|Car body style||2-door Station wagon|
|Wheelbase||104.5 in (2654 mm)|
|Length||176.25 in (4477 mm)|
|Width||71.75 in (1822 mm)|
|Height||74 in (1880 mm)|
|Curb weight||3,206 lb (1,454 kg)|
|Related||Willys Jeep Truck|
The Willys Jeep Station Wagon is the first all-steel station wagon and is arguably the world's first Sport utility vehicle (SUV). It was designed in 1946 by industrial designer Brooks Stevens and stayed in production until 1963. The steel body was efficient to mass-produce, as easy to maintain and safer than the real wood-bodied station wagon versions at the time. This was one of Willys most successful post-World War II models. Its production coincided with the move to the new Suburb during the post-war period. This model was also assembled in several international markets under various forms of Joint venture, License, or Complete knock down kits.
The Willys Jeep Station Wagon was introduced in 1946 as just the 463 model, powered by the L-134 Go-Devil flathead four cylinder. The 663 model, powered by the L-148 Lightning straight six, was brought in for 1948. Four-wheel drive became an option in 1949.
1950 saw a number of changes. The flat grille was replaced by a pointed v-shape design with five horizontal bars across the vertical ones. New engines were available, too. The 473 model got the new F-134 Hurricane, and the 673 model got a new 161 cu in (2.6 L) version of the Lightning six. Another big change this year was the addition of a sedan delivery model to the lineup.
In 1952, the flathead Lightning was dropped in favor of the F-161 Hurricane, installed in the 685 model.
The 1954 model year was the first under Kaiser's ownership. The Continental straight six engine, a flathead inline six, was introduced. This was a version of the Kaiser Supersonic/Continental Motors Red Seal engine.
A number of new models were added in 1955. The 6-226 model lineup gained stripped chassis, flat face cowl, cowl/windshield, and ambulance models. The 475 line received only the cowl/windshield.
In 1958 a new Maverick model was introduced, a comparatively more luxurious version of the two-wheel drive wagon. It could be had with either the four or the six-cylinder engine. The Maverick tag came from the Maverick (TV series), of which Willys was a sponsor.
The 6-230 Tornado OHC engine was introduced in midyear 1962, replacing the flathead.
Production ended in 1965, as the Willys model had been phased out by the Jeep Wagoneer. Over 300,000 wagons and its variants were built.
- 1946-50 L4-134 Go-Devil
- 1948-50 L6-148 Lightning
- 1950-65 F4-134 Hurricane
- 1950-51 L6-161 Lightning
- 1952-54 F6-161 Hurricane
- 1954-62 Continental straight six engine
- 1962-65 6-230 Tornado
- Redmond, Derek (24 June 2002). "Willys Jeep Station Wagons". The CJ-3B Page. http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Siblings/Wagon.html. Retrieved on 2007-03-22.
- FMC XR311
Jeep, A subsidiary of Chrysler LLC, road vehicle timeline, 1945–present
|Traditional||CJ-2A||CJ-3A||CJ-3B||CJ-7/8||Wrangler YJ||Wrangler TJ||Wrangler JK|
|Crossover SUV||Compass MK|
|Compact SUV||VJ||C101||C104||Cherokee/Wagoneer XJ||Liberty KJ||Liberty KK|
|Sport utility vehicle||Willys Jeep Wagon||G.Cherokee ZJ||G.Cherokee WJ||G.Cherokee WK|
|Wagoneer/Cherokee SJ||Jeep Grand Wagoneer||Commander XK|
|Pickup truck||Willys Jeep Truck||Comanche MJ|