Global Electric Motorcars
From Dodge Wiki
|Types of companies||Subsidiary of Chrysler|
|Headquarters||Fargo, North Dakota, United States|
|Product (business)||Small vehicles, NEV|
|Holding company||Chrysler Holding LLC|
The company was founded as in 1992 by a team of ex-General Motors Corporation engineers from Livonia, Michigan, under the name Trans2.
The company was nearly bankrupt by 1997, when it was purchased by a group of North Dakota investors. The company received its current name and was moved to Fargo. 1998 was the first year that GEM had produced an NEV. The first car had a top speed of 20 Miles per hour, and could fit two people. In 2000, the company was purchased by Daimler AG, and was spun off with Chrysler in 2007.
GEM has produced more than 35,000 vehicles and currently offers six different models primarily suited to intra-city use. GEM vehicles have found use in fleet service, hospitals, military bases, airports, golf courses, parks, and seniors communities.
GEM battery-electric vehicles are classified as Low-speed vehicle, or Neighborhood electric vehicles, and are street legal in nearly[vague] all 50 states on public roads posted at 35 mph (56 km/h) or less. With a top speed of 25 mph (40 km/h), GEM cars have a range of up to 30 miles (48 km) on a charge. They are battery-electric, operate on a 72-volt battery system and plug into a standard 110-volt outlet for recharging. They can be recharged anytime, anywhere a 110-volt outlet is available and fully recharge in approximately six to eight hours.
- April 1998
- First car produced
- October 1998
- GEM eL first produced
- November 1998
- GEM eS first produced
- December 1998
- GEM e4 first produced
- December 2000
- DaimlerChrysler Corporation acquires Global Electric Motorcars, LLC
- June 2000
- Global Electric Motorcars, LLC and DaimlerChrysler begins an aggressive market awareness campaign in the United States
- September 2002
- automated production of vehicles begins
- October 2003
- After market campaign, GEM is the leading LSV producer
- March 2004
- 2005 models begin production
- June 2005
- Global Electric Motorcars, LLC receives its ‘ISO 9001:2000 Registered’ Certification
- July 2005
- total number of cars produced hits 30,000
- January 2006
- GEM has 150 dealers
- April 2006
- GEM e6 first produced
- Autumn 2006
- GEM eL XD released
- January 2008
- All-electric Tata Ace mini truck will be sold through Chrysler's Global Electric Motorcars division. 
- September 2008
- GEM announces the introduction of the Peapod, a modernized neighborhood electric vehicle. Simultaneously, a new name for the company, Green Eco-Mobility, is announced.
The company produces vehicles based on similar designs:
- GEM e2 NEV — A two-seat vehicle
- GEM e4 NEV — A four-seat version
- GEM e6 NEV — A six-seat version
- GEM Peapod - A four-seat car, 25 mph (40 km/h), 30 miles (48 km) range, Flooded electrolyte battery, to hit the streets in 2010 .
- Pickup truck versions:
- GEM eS NEV — A two-seat with a 39" x 48" flat bed with a 330 pound cargo capacity.
- GEM eL NEV — A longer-bed version of the eS with a 70" x 48" flat bed with a 700 pound cargo capacity.
- GEM eL XD NEV— A heavier duty version of the eL with a 70" x 48" flat bed with a 1,100 pound cargo capacity..
The original vehicles operated on a 48-volt system with four 12-volt batteries and a 3.5 hp (2.6 kW) drive motor. Later models introduced an option of a 72-volt system, which is now used in all current models.
The 2005 models feature a complete makeover including front disc brakes, rear drum brakes, new suspension and fully upgraded and sealed electronics.
All of the vehicles use a separately excited motor and controller from General Electric. The vehicles have a 72-volt battery pack provided by six 12-volt flooded lead acid or (optional) gel batteries.
The Glacier Blue coloured 10th Anniversary Special Edition Package is available on the e2, e4, and e6 models and features polished 14" aluminum wheels, chrome headlamp Bezel, front and rear chrome bumpers, a deluxe steering wheel with tilt steering, carpeted floor mats, and two-toned Ultraleather(which have a leather-like texture) seats, with many other options and accessories. The Special edition also sports special emblems.
A Special version with enhanced electrical components for police and security work.